4/23/24 ALERT FROM DANE CO SHERIFF | View Details

Permits, Licenses & Zoning

Permits, Licenses & Zoning

Home » Permits, Licenses & Zoning

Blasting Permit
For questions, contact Town Clerk 608-798-0189 | Email 

No person may use any explosives regulated under Wisconsin Administrative Rules Chapter Safety and Professional Services (SPS) 307, within the town limits without first obtaining a blasting permit from the town clerk. Application shall be made to the town clerk a minimum of 30 working days prior to the proposed effective date of the permit. The application for a blasting permit will be processed when the appropriate fee has been paid to the treasurer and the properly completed permit application has been received by the clerk.
Ordinance Regulating Blasting Within the Town of Cross Plains
Blasting Permit Application Form

Building Permit
For questions, contact Town Clerk 608-798-0189 | Email 
Building inspector Fred Hankel 608-370-9756 ​| Email

A permit is required for any construction project with an estimated cost of $1,000 or more, or any project that includes electrical, plumbing, heating, or air conditioning improvements or upgrades. Please contact the building inspector to determine the cost of the permit if you would like to send payment with the application. Note that an accessory structure not fixed to the ground does not require a permit.

Town of Cross Plains Building Permit Ordinance
Town of Cross Plains Building Permit Fees
Wisconsin Building Permit Application

DSPS WI Uniform Dwelling Code (UDC) Building Permit Request for NEW Dwellings
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) For Requesting Electronic UDC Building Permits for NEW One- & Two-Family Dwellings


Driveway Permit
For questions, contact Town Clerk 608-798-0189 | Email 

A permit is needed for any driveway or private road that serves a residence located more than 100 feet from a public road. An application for a permit must be submitted to the Town Clerk who will issue a permit following Town Board approval.
Town private road ordinance
Driveway permit application
Private Driveway Ordinance
Driveway Construction Guide


Fireworks Permit
For questions, contact Town Chair, Greg Hyer 608-320-3243 | Email 

Under state law, fireworks may generally only be sold to members of the public for recreational use if they are the holder of a valid user’s permit meeting the requirements of Wisconsin Statute § 167.10(3). As a result, people wishing to use or possess fireworks within the town must get a permit from the town. Permits are not required to transport fireworks through the town on the way to another location, as long as the person transporting the fireworks remains in the town for less than 12 hours, Wisconsin Statute § 167.10(3)(bm). Likewise, people who are not state residents can buy fireworks without a permit and transport them out of state as long as they do not stay in any municipality for more than 12 hours. If they intend to use the fireworks in Wisconsin or plan to stay in any Wisconsin municipality with the fireworks for 12 or more hours, they need a valid permit.

Any individual or group of individuals, public authorities, fair associations, amusement parks, park boards, civic organizations, and farmers who use the fireworks against predatory birds or animals may request a permit, Wisconsin Statute § 167.10(3)(c); however, permits may not be issued to minors, Wisconsin Statute § 167.10(3)(h).

Wisconsin Fireworks Law Advisory Memorandum
Fireworks permit application


Dog License
For questions, contact Town Treasurer 608-516-6109 | Email 

According to Wisconsin Statute § 174.054, the owner of a dog more than 5 months of age on January 1 of any year, or 5 months of age within the license year, shall annually, or on or before the date the dog becomes 5 months of age, pay the dog license tax and obtain a license. The license year begins on January 1 and ends on the following December 31. You must have a dog license from the Town of Cross Plains in order to apply for a Dane County Dog Park permit.

If you pay your property taxes in person at the town hall, you can obtain a dog license at the same time.

Dog license fees: Neutered males and spayed females are $15. Males and females are $20. Each dog owner is responsible for licensing his/her dog(s). You must have proof of date of rabies vaccination before a license can be issued. A SEPARATE CHECK IS REQUIRED FOR DOG LICENSE FEES.

If you did not get a dog license when you paid your property taxes, contact Town Treasurer, Bonnie Krattiger at 608-516-6109.

Dane County Pet Licensing and Ownership
Application for dog license


Liquor License
For questions, contact Town Clerk 608-798-0189 | Email 

To obtain a liquor license, a person must be at least 21 years old, he or she must have resided in Wisconsin for at least 90 days, he or she must obtain a seller’s permit from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue, and he or she must also complete a responsible beverage server training course. A license must be obtained from the municipality where the business is located.

Retail Alcohol Beverage License Information
Original Alcohol Beverage Retail License Application
Auxiliary Questionnaire Alcohol Beverage License Application


For questions, contact Town Clerk 608-798-0189 | Email 

Use the form below to apply for splits, rezones, or conditional use permits. There is a $150 fee for a rezone or a conditional use permit.

Dane County Zoning District Fact Sheets
Dane County Zoning: Understanding the Conditional Use Process

Land Use Petition Application and Instructions for Filing
Plan Commission Policy on Requests for Rezoning